◄◄◄ Previous Page         


          Next Page ►►►




Why is it difficult for people to 'see' the Transformation domain?


Spend some time on the Transformation of Transformation,|rather than 100% on the Transformation of Operations.

99% (if not more) of the Transformation work going on in most Enterprises is related to Transforming Operations, while the remaining 1% is spent transforming Direction and/or Support.

Since “How an Enterprise effects Transformation is becoming a Strategic Strength or a Strategic Weakness, where massive business opportunities can be gained or massive business problems will result.” there should be someone in the Enterprise who is accountable for this massively important area. In the same way that there is someone accountable for Operations.

It is obvious that the person Accountable for the Direction of the entire Enterprise is the CEO. (Note here that we are specifically using the word Accountable here as defined by RACI rather than the word Responsible). It is also obvious that the person Accountable for making sure Operations runs smoothly is the COO. So while the COO flies the flag for Operations in the boardroom - to improve HOW it is done - there should also be someone who flies the flag for Transformation - to improve HOW it is done.

But most Enterprises (management) are totally blind to this. It’s a bit like they are looking hard to make sure they do not stand on that thumb tack on the road and complete failing to notice the juggernaut that is about to kill them. Some will look up early and with little energy avoid the juggernaut. Others will see it later and have to expend massive amounts of energy to avoid it. Others will see it too late and be injured. Some will be fatally injured and die a long agonising death. Some will die at the scene. For a few, they will never see it coming and will never know what hit them. POET aims to set the context to allow Enterprises to avoid the juggernaut.

Whilst Transformation tends to mostly transform the Operations part of most Enterprises, POET is concerned with improving the Transformation part of every Enterprise, illustrated here with the red dotted line. This rarely happens on its own, although some parts may be improved in a sporadic, tactical and piecemeal fashion. This approach is in and of itself not a problem. What is a problem, a very very big problem, is when tactical change are made without an understanding as to how those changes fit into the wider context and the implications of those changes on that wider context. Context and Implications. This what the (commonly misinterpreted) phrase “Think Strategically, Act Tactically” means.

Not the transformation of Operations, but the transformation of Transformation.


How much time and money does your Enterprise spend annually on Transforming Direction? Support? Operations?

How much time and money does your Enterprise spend annually on transforming Transformation?

Who is the person in your Enterprise who is Accountable for the Transformation of Transformation?

Do they have a seat at the Board Table? If not, why not?

Who is Responsible for making sure that the end to end domain of Transformation is operating in an effective and efficient manner?



◄◄◄ Previous Page          

          Next Page ►►►

© 2008-2018 Pragmatic EA Ltd